Sunday, January 17, 2016

Offering Help



Offering Help (Menawarkan Bantuan)

There are a number of formulas used when offering help in English. Here are some of the most common:


·         May I help you?
·         Can I help you?
·         Are you looking for something?
·         Would you like some help?
·         Do you need some help?
·         What can I do for you today?
·         Could I help you? 
·         How can I be of assistance to you? 
·         How can I be of help to you?
·         What can I help you       - What can I do for you?
·         How can I assist you?
·         How can I help you?
·         Let me help you?
·         Do you want me to help you?
·         Shall I …?



Respond offering help
Receiving
Refusing
·         Yes please, Sure,
·         Why not,
·         Ofcourse,
·         Certainly,
·         I’d love to,
·         It’s a good idea,
·         That’s great.
·         No, thanks,
·         Please don’t bother,
·         I’d love to but…,
·         That’s great but…   
Some ways to offering help for meals and drinks:
·         Would you like…?,
·         Would you care for …?,
·         Why don’t you have…?,
·         How about having …?
·         May I offer you …? 

Example:
Offering
Responses
- Would you like some bread?
Yes, please.
- Would you care for some coffee?
No, thanks. I don’t drink coffee.
- Why don’t you have some biscuit, please?
Thanks, I’d love to.